Mondays and Fridays 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
Enrollment starts Feb 11
Next Year Status:
The Gift of Play Supports the Love of Learning
In Pre-3’s young children are afforded many opportunities to learn through playful exploration. Playful exploration accompanied by clear expectations and kind guidance from the teacher and parents promotes the development of social skills, emotional intelligence, scientific inquiry, literacy, physical capabilities (fine and large motor skills), mathematics, and a lifelong love of learning.
Our class is organized around weekly themes that emerge out of the children’s direct experience and/or interests. Themes may include the seasons, feelings, friendship, animals, transportation, the weather, plant growth, balance, etc.
The majority of the class time is free choice — children have the chance to choose from a variety of activities designed to spark curiosity and delight, inspire imaginary play, and foster creativity.
Large motor play:
We have a wonderful outdoor space to play in. Children have opportunities to throw balls, play in a sand box, paint, dance with streamers, play with small parachutes, blow bubbles, and more!
When it is rainy, we play indoors. We have a variety of indoor large motor equipment for our use.
- The art center offers open-ended creative activities such as finger painting, print making, collage, drawing, and painting with watercolors.
- The home center supports dramatic play by providing a play kitchen, a table with play dough, dress-up clothes, dolls, and props related to the weekly theme.
- The sensory table offers a wide variety of materials to explore: water, sand, rice, flax seed, etc.
- The building area is the place to create structures, roads, train tracks, farms, zoos, habitats, etc.
- The library loft is a quiet cozy area with books related to the weekly theme and hand puppets.
- The climbing room provides a wide range of possibilities for big movement.
- The table toys area offers materials that challenge fine motor control such as puzzles, peg boards, rubber band boards, and small blocks.
Circle time includes singing, creative movement, listening to and participating in stories, and playing with rhythm and rhyme.
Pre-3s Class Teacher – Beth Graham
I began my journey with Wedgwood Co-op as a parent in the Toddlers class. As my daughter Maya has moved up to Pre-3’s so have I, as the new Pre-3 teacher. I have been so grateful for the experiences and community that Wedgwood has provided, and I am eager to share my love for early learning and play with the Wedgwood community. I feel like the Wedgwood Co-op is a magical place and I am so excited to share in that magic.
In my life before children I was an elementary school teacher. I have my Masters in Elementary Education from Seattle University. With over ten years of teaching experience, first as a reading specialist and kindergarten teacher, then later as a fourth and fifth grade teacher, I am quite passionate about learning. I am really looking forward to a fabulous school year!
Parents in the Classroom
Parent participation is an important part of the Pre-3 program. Along with holding a class job, parents participate in class one day a week. During free choice time parents rotate through the centers helping children build vocabulary, problem solve, and learn to use materials. Parents bring snack approximately five times a year, and as the year progresses the parents at each snack table plan and lead small group activities. Together, children and parents have a rewarding, growth-filled and exciting experience.
- Pre-3 Parents attend class with their children one day/week and act as assistant teachers
- Each parent has a job outside the classroom (For example: class chair, parent coordinator, equipment and repair, class photographer, substitute teacher)
- Two weekend cleanings of the school per year (this takes approximately 1 hour)
General Pre-3 Class Information
- Meet Monday & Friday 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
- Age: 24 months by August 31
- 2022-2023: Tuition $100/month + North Seattle College Tuition $52.23/quarter
- For more information, contact our All School Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: February 16th, 2023, 11:36 am